This News Was Published in Daily Ummat on November 21, 2013.
This News Was Published in Express Tribune on July 14, 2013.
Death by accident?: Suspect dies in CID police custody
KARACHI: The young man, Muhammad Farhan, who died under mysterious circumstances in the custody of the Crime Investigation Department (CID) on Saturday, was only arrested a day ago as a suspected target killer.
The news of his death broke past midnight on Saturday after which the CID police came under fire by the Ahle Sunnat Wal Jamaat (ASWJ), who accused its Anti-Extremist Cell SSP Chaudhry Muhammad Aslam Khan of killing its worker in an ‘extra judicial’ manner.
According to a document of the Edhi morgue – a copy of which is available with The Express Tribune – the body was brought in by the CID Garden police headquarters at around 5:20pm on Friday to be kept in its cold storage. Even though the police declared on the form that the cause of death was “police encounter”, there were no bullet wounds on the body. The body did, however, display marks of severe torture with profuse post-mortem bleeding from the nose.
Farhan’s family was also afraid of revealing any information. “Please leave us alone as we have already sustained a great loss,” said a family member. “You will jeopardise our lives as well.” The family buried the body only an hour after receiving the body at around 8am on Saturday even though they had planned on holding the funeral with members of ASWJ after Asr prayers.
On Thursday, SSP Khan claimed to have arrested six operatives of Lashkar-e-Jhangvi’s (LeJ) Naeem Bukhari group from Orangi Town’s neighbourhood of Qazzafi Chowk. Farhan, 22, resident of Golimar, was one of those six suspects, who – based on their alleged confessions during custody – were implicated in at least 25 cases of target killings, including that of Muttahida Qaumi Movement MPA Sajid Qureshi and college principal Prof. Sibte Jafar Zaidi.
The party insisted, nevertheless, that the CID picked up its activists ‘unlawfully’. “We had filed a petition in court demanding habeas corpus [ordering a prisoner to be brought before a judge or into a court] on July 8,” said ASWJ spokesperson Akbar Saeed Farooqui.
Apart from the deceased, the five suspects still in police custody have no affiliation with the LeJ. The police demanded Rs1 million from each of their families, and fixed them under ‘false’ charges when the families failed to pay, said Farooqui. According to him, the party received the body at around 1:30am on Saturday, when they took it to Jinnah hospital for medico-legal examination but the officer on duty allegedly refused to carry it out. He said the medico-legal report had already been issued to the police after an examination, Farooqui claimed, adding that even officials at Civil hospital also refused. “It appeared that the CID police used its connections to deny us this right,” he alleged.
The ASWJ demanded the chief justice of Pakistan take action. “Otherwise, police stations will turn into courtrooms, where these SSPs and SHOs will act as judges.”
The other side
SSP Chaudhry Aslam Khan termed the ASWJ claims preposterous. “The deceased was already a heart patient and the family knew this,” he said. According to Khan, Farhan felt uneasiness on the night of his arrest, which according to him was July 11. His blood pressure shot up to 220/120 so the police took him to National Institute of Cardiovascular Diseases, where he died from cardiac arrest, he said.
“The family requested the police shift the body to Edhi morgue because they wanted to arrange the funeral on Saturday morning,” claimed SSP Khan. “The police sent the body to the morgue on Friday evening once the medico-legal examination was completed.”
The ASWJ activists forcefully took out the body from the morgue and took it to Siddique-i-Akbar mosque, which, according to him, serves as the headquarters of the banned Sipah-e-Sahaba. “The ASWJ activists coerced Edhi staff to prepare documents of their choice when they received the body and I refuse to accept them.”
This News was Published by ShiiteNews.com on 27th July 2011
Shia leaders demands arrest of SSP CID Chaudhry Mohammad Aslam, Askari Reza surrenders at Police Station
The leaders of various shia organization on Wednesday demanded of the Chief Justice of Sindh High Court, CM Sindh, IG Sindh Police and CCPO Karachi to immediately arrest the nominated culprits involved in the target killing of Mukhtar Bukhari Advocate.
Addressing the joint press conference at Karachi press club, Maulana Mirza Yousuf Hussain of Shia Action Committee, Allama Aftab Jaffari of Jaffari Alliance Pakistan, Maulana Munawar Naqvi of Majlis-e-Wehdat Muslameen (MWM), S.M.Haider of Pasban-e-Aza, Maulana Shabir Messami of Shia Ulema Council, Askari Reza Legal Aid committee Incharge and others alleged that the SSP CID Chaudhry Mohammad Aslam was nominated in the target killing case of Mukhtar Bukhari advocate and urged the government to immediately suspend him and investigate his links with outlawed organization.
According to the Shiite News Correspondent, They alleged that Chaudhry Aslam was using illegal means to pressurize the applicant of the petition of Mukhtar Bukhari target killing to withdraw the petition against him.
On the occasion, Askari Reza Legal Aid committee Incharge, the petitioner, said that Mukhtar Bukhari advocate was the advocate on the several high profile cases including the Muntazir Imam illegal detention case against SSP CID Chaudhry Mohammad Aslam.
He alleged that the SSP CID had been threatened the Mukhtar advocate to withdraw from the illegal detention case of Muntazir Imam but the Mukhtar Bukhari advocate had refused his threat and continue the legal assistance of Muntazir Imam.
He demanded of the CCPO to immediately establish a committee to probe the high profile killing of senior advocate Mukhtar Bukhari saying that the Eidgah Police station was registered the FIR against unknown people without any consultation with the family.
Askari Reza said that he was filed the petition in Sindh High Court on 25th July for the registration of the FIR against Chaudhry Aslam and a leader of outlawed SSP on section A-22 adding that the FIR of the advocate target killing case has not been registered.
He alleged that Sarjani Town Police has registered a FIR against him on the target killing of outlawed SSP worker on the next two hours after the petition in Sindh High Court.
He said that he is ready to surrender himself to investigate him in the FIR lodged against him and requested the Chief Justice Sindh High court to take immediate action of the SSP CID against him.
He claimed that the object behind the FIR was to force him to withdraw from the petition filed against the Chaudhry Aslam of the target killing of Mukhtar Bukhari advocate and demanded of the IG Sindh to suspend the SSP CID Chaudhry Mohammad Aslam to investigate the case.
After the press Conference at Legal Aid Committee Incharge of Shia Community, Askari Reza, has been reached at Artillery Maidan Police Station to surrender himself on the case registered against him at Sarjani Town Police Station.